Municipal Consent

A Municipal Consent (MC) or Road Cut Permit is the municipality's authorization for a utility to occupy a specific location within the Town's rights-of-way. Standard utility corridors and alignments have been established to avoid conflicts between existing, proposed and future utility and municipal infrastructure.  Permits are only issued to companies or persons who have the authority to construct, operate, and maintain their infrastructure within the right of way. 

How Do I Apply for a Municipal Consent Permit?

  1. Apply for a Municipal Consent/Road Cut Permit here.
  2. Completed applications for Municipal Consent must be sent to 
  3. Municipal Consent applications must be submitted a minimum of 30 business days before planned commencement of work. The Town reserves the right to require this time for review / approval of the MC permit. Larger or non-standard submissions may require additional time. Applications are processed in order of submission and can only be advanced in queue ahead of applications from the same utility. Applications may warrant a security deposit.
  4. The approval of a MC is valid for a period of one (1) year from the date of issuance.  If the work has not commenced within 30 days of issuance, an administrative fee will be charged for its renewal. 
  5. An application for a MC shall be made in the name of the Utility to be installed, not in the name of an agent of said Utility.
  6. The application may be forwarded to additional Town staff for review.
  7. After the MC has been issued, the applicant may perform the prescribed work. Upon completion, the work will be inspected and reinstatement verified before any applicable deposits are returned.

How Much Does It Cost?

The Applicant is required to pay a fee for the review of their plan drawings. The MC fees can be found in section 16 of the Town of Prescott's Reinstatement of Sidewalks and Highways - By-Law 05-2010. Fees can be paid via cheque (made payable to the Corporation of the Town of Prescott).

High volume applicants can be invoiced upon request.

Scroll to top