About Us

From its beginnings in the old Town Hall with 5,248 books to its much larger and accessible facilities today, the Prescott Public Library has evolved and changed to fulfill the needs of the community.

History of the Prescott Library

  • Pre-1864- Union Library
  • 1864- Mechanics Institute
  • 1895- Prescott Public Library formed & adopted 30 rules & regulations
  • 1912- expanded in Town Hall
  • 1921- Town Council votes to support public library
  • 1961- moved from old Town Hall to new Municipal building
  • 1974- expansion & renovation--air conditioned, Librarian's office
  • 1997- children's room repainted including beautiful mural by Catherine Ring
  • 2006 - Rejuvenation of the whole Library thanks to the generosity of the Prescott   Community, expansion into the old gymnasium
  • 1880- $1 per person
  • 1895- $0.50 per person
  • 1999- non-residents pay a yearly membership fee of $30.00 per family, $22.50 per single membership, and $15.00 per student.
  • 2023-non-residents pay a yearly membership fee of $40.00 per family, $25.00 per single membership, and $15.00 per student
  • Years- Miss Bella Murphy
  • Years- Miss S. Tyner- served over 25 years
  • Years- Mrs. Gladys Scobie
  • Years- Mrs. F. A. Wardrop
  • Years- Mrs. Ann Steiner- served over 26 years
  • Years- Mrs. Jane McGuire
Scroll to top