Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Marriage Licence

| |

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Town Hall is currently closed to the public. Marriage licenses are not being issued at this time.

You can apply for your marriage license at Town Hall.  The fee for a marriage license is $100 (cash/Interac).

Marriage License Application Form

An appointment is required prior to coming to Town Hall to obtain a marriage license.


To get a marriage licence, you will need to:

  • bring 2 pieces of government-issued identification for each person getting married.  One piece of identification must include your photo.
    Examples of accepted government-issued identification:
    • government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
    • valid passport
    • record of immigrant landing
    • Canadian Citizenship Card
    • valid driver's licence
    • valid Ontario Photo Card

         NOT accepted as identification:

  • Ontario Health Card
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) Card


 Photocopies of any documentation are NOT accepted

The completed application may be submitted by either applicant. All the proper identification is required for the absent person as well as for the person submitting the application.


When an applicant has been divorced and the divorce was granted in Canada, the Original or a Court Certified True Copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce is required. A copy can only be certified by the Court in which you were divorced. A PHOTOCOPY IS NOT ACCEPTABLE

If the divorce was granted Outside of Canada, please consult the Issuer of Marriage Licenses at Town Hall for further details regarding Provincial authorization. The process for applying for and obtaining authorization from the Registrar General's Office in Thunder Bay is a lengthy process. Please ensure that you allow at least 6-8 weeks to obtain documentation from that provincial office

The Town of Prescott has two certified wedding officiants that can perform marriage ceremonies. We can host them at Town Hall, our Amphitheatre or discuss other venues with you.

For more information, please contact our office.